CBD is short for Cannabidiol.
Cannabidiol is a chemical in the Cannabis sativa plant, also known as marijuana or hemp. Over 80 chemicals, known as cannabinoids, have been identified in the Cannabis sativa plant. While delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the major active ingredient in marijuana, cannabidiol is also obtained from hemp, which contains only very small amounts of THC.
Broad-Spectrum CBD products utilize the whole plant, but this time with the THC molecule (where the "high" in marijuana comes from) is isolated and removed.
This gives you the benefits of ALL cannabinoids present within the plant as well as the beneficial terpenes.
CBD helps animals with:
• Pain from arthritis or laminitis
• Anxiety during stall confinement
• Stress during traveling and shows
• Ulcers and leaky gut
• Healing from surgery or injury
• Immune system depression from oxidative stress experienced with Cushing’s disease
• Appetite regulation
• Inflammation, with the potential to reduce leptin levels
• Insulin resistance
• Relaxation for clipping and other services
How does it work?
Cannabidiol has effects on the brain. The exact cause for these effects is not clear. However, cannabidiol seems to prevent the breakdown of a chemical in the brain that affects pain, mood, and mental function. It prevents the breakdown of this chemical and increasing its levels in the blood. Also, cannabidiol seems to reduce pain and anxiety.
USDF Grand Prix Dressage Rider Jaclyn Pepper